Month: December 2017

The Dangers of Overlooked Mold Growth in the Home

Problem Solved. Or Is It?

So you’ve had a little Austin water damage. You had a small roof leak, so you had it repaired, or, you had your plumber fix that leaking pipe, and you cleaned up all the water. So why should you be concerned about mold? Mold is a fungus that produces and releases microscopic spores into the air. As mold begins to grow your home, these spores are in the air that you and your family are continually breathing in.

 

Mold Needs Moisture to Thrive

Just like any fungus, mold requires moisture to survive and thrive. That is why if you have a water damage clean up problem it is imperative the all moisture is dried out as quickly as possible. If you are currently having moisture problems or have had moisture problems in bathrooms, kitchens, or basements, you should pay close attention to what we are about to share so you can understand how dangerous an issue mold can be?

Structural Damage To Your Home

Allowing mold to continue to grow in your home can result in structural damage to your home, but even more, and dangerous are the health problems it can and will cause. Since mold is living growing organism, it will eat away at any surface it is allowed to flourish on, including furniture, wallpaper, carpets, sheetrock, and wood. There have been several instances in the Austin area where mold went undetected and was allowed to infest homes to the point where the only option was complete demolition. This is the threat mold can pose to your home if it is allowed to continue to grow out of control.

Mold Can Harm Your Health

Some of the known mold species of mold found in homes are Aspergillus, Stachybotrys, Cladosporium, Fusarium, and Penicillium. Mold allergy symptoms can range anywhere from full blown out asthma attacks to irritated eyes, throats, noses, skin, and lungs. For others, mold exposure can cause hypersensitivity pneumonitis, headaches, breathing difficulties, diarrhea, headaches, sore throats, fatigue, and dermatitis. People with existing allergies, asthma or suppressed immune systems will become hypersensitive to developing additional infections.  Some molds even produce potentially toxic substances that are carcinogenic to humans.

 

Mold Remediation Is Not for Amateurs

Since mold can pose such a dangerous threat to you and families health, you should address any mold growth immediately. The right mold remediation techniques must be used or else further contamination will occur. Remember we are talking about airborne spores here. So, well-meaning DIY have unwittingly spread the mold while trying to eradicate it. Disturbing mold causes it to release more contaminating spores into the air circulating all through the home. Others have tried to use bleach to clean the mold. While bleach will clean the mold, it will not necessarily kill the mold spores. Further, even if it is partially successful, dead mold still causes severe allergic reactions.